Thursday, August 27, 2009

Carpet, Table, Pre-K, Carbon Freezing and Potty Training

The Month of August is almost over so I thought I'd give you a recap of the many exciting things that have happened this month...

First, we got our new carpet!!! Yeah!!! it's only been 7 months since the kitchen flood and all the remodeling that we've been working on and it's finally done.. almost. At least the carpet is in and it's amazing. Margie has become the carpet patrol not allowing anyone with food enter into the living room. I guess 7 months of drilling in "when the new carpet comes..." worked. Unfortunately the week it came in I was sick with a nasty flu that turned sinus infection and on the days I most wanted to lay in my bed it was leaned against the kitchen wall. Oh well, I'm fine now and it's done! Yeah!
New table. Our old garage sale table finally gave out on us so we've had the card table up for a few months and now we decided to finally get a real kitchen table. It's wonderful and Jakey was so helpful putting it together. I couldn't help snap this shot of Daddy's helper.
First day of Pre-k. Margie was so cute this day. She layed out her new outfit and had everything ready to take to her first day. She's been in a week and loves it. We are still working on the separation anxiety when we drop her off, but I think in a week or so she'll be fine. Good thing it only lasts a minute or two and there's not been crying yet, just the leg lock on mom. Jakey looks as excited as she is. Too bad he's not able to go. I think he misses his sister in the mornings. He keeps asking "where Margie go?" "Preschool? oh. ok."
The kids have become Star Wars fans and we watched The Empire Strikes Back last weekend, so the other night we were cleaning up our room of the many toys that had collected there during the day and Dan said to Margie "Can you please get all these toys on the vent?" Margie replied, "No Dad, they are being frozen!" What a great imagination. I can see how Obie Wan, Han and the wookie got into this position, but I'm not sure how the loving family Grandma got into this mess.
Lastly, Jakey who is almost 2 1/2 years old has decided he wants to potty-train himself. I had nothing to do with this, in fact, it started the week we got new carpet and I was sick. He learned that it's really easy to get his own pants and diaper off and then he's usually streaking around the house like this picture I snapped only minutes ago after putting his pants back on about 5 times in the last hour. I give up. Ok not really, but this boy is really strong willed. Nice timing Jakey, we just put in new carpet! Any advice on Potty-training boys?

8 comments:

Stine said...

I have SO been there with the potty training. Oh wait, I'm there again now... and honestly, that is what I'm dreading most about boy #3. Otherwise - your carpet looks great! I bet you are so excited to have everything feeling so nice again! Congrats

Stine said...

OH, and my boys are star wars crazy right now too. We'll have to have them play together!

Laurie said...

Use fun cheerios as potty targets in the toilet. And find a good reward system, like a gumball machine. That is what finally worked with Londynn, she loved it! She got a penny every time she went potty, that she then used in her gumball machine.

The Hansen Family said...

hahha! I love the carbon freezing! Your kids are so clever! Good luck with the potty training...Ethan couldn't care less about it so I have no advice! Sorry! GOod luck!:)

P.S. The carpet looks AWESOME!

Chuckleheads said...

ha ha ha....first, great carpet...second, the tinkering shot with Jake is priceless...third, could Margie be any cuter in that purple outfit...fourth, little did you know that grandma is secretly a jabba...and fifth, love that cute little tushy. Why would you want to cover it up? ha ha ha.

lexie said...

Star wars. Oh, how we love Star Wars! I also love your new carpet, and I am excited to see your new table. I have no advice on potty training Jakey! Sorry!

JakenDebbie said...

Love the new carpet! Fabulous! So many great pictures...just makes me miss you guys all the more.

I wish I had brilliant potty-training advice. Katie is so ready to be trained, but this mommy is not at all ready to do the training. :) She, just like Jakey, has started taking off her own diaper. I have checked on her at nap time to find her pantless, diaperless, and totally wet. Gross. So, we have started taping her diaper shut at bedtime. I know potty-training would be smarter, but I also know that won't work if I'm not ready!! :) And I'm really not ready. I cannot get across the room fast enough to get her to the potty...maybe in a few months.

Wow, sorry to write so much...can you tell I miss you!?! Love you!

Cothran Family said...

This is soooo great! I love the Jakey helping dad shot, the margie in the adorable outfit shot, the "frozen guys" shot and the naked bum shot. Oh what fun. I am just going to laugh some more and be greatful I have a sister going through the same things as me :)
my advice on potty training a boy:
Make him sit!